Calculations in the United Nations show that the world population will increase to about 10 billion people by 2050. Parallel to the population growth, the global energy requirement will rise considerable despite all further efforts concerning the rational use of energy. According to calculations by the World Energy Council (WEC), the world-wide primary energy consumption of currently about 12 billion tonnes coal equivalent per year will grow to a level of between 16 and 24 billion tonnes coal equivalent per year depending on the economic, social and political developments by the year 2020. This growth will mainly be based on fossil energy carriers which presently cover hardly 90% of the requirement. Hydrodynamic power and nuclear power cover at present about five percent each of the remaining 10 percent.