The International Conference on Small Modular Reactors and their Applications, organised by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), will take place this year in Vienna, from 21 to 25 October.
The purpose of this IAEA conference is to provide an international forum to take stock of the progress and discuss the opportunities, challenges and enabling conditions for the accelerated development and safe and secure deployment of SMRs among all possible stakeholders for SMRs.
The primary objectives are to:
- Present and discuss the up-to-date design and technology of SMRs and microreactors and their associated fuel cycle approaches;
- Address the safety, security, and safeguards approaches specific to SMRs;
- Discuss legislative and regulatory frameworks and existing practices in regulation of SMR design, development, and deployment.
- Consider ways to facilitate the near-term deployment of SMRs, including financing and contracting approaches;
- Discuss the status of national nuclear energy programmes in the Member States by highlighting technical and non-technical expectations and end-user requirements to SMRs design; and
- Share information on recent Member State and IAEA initiatives relating to SMR development and deployment, including NHSI, and foster international collaboration among all stakeholders.
It is expected that this conference will help catalyse current activities in Member States and enhance prospects of safe and secure SMR deployment that will offer options for achieving clean energy transition and energy supply security in both embarking and expanding countries.
Key Deadlines and Dates
- 29 February 2024: Submission of abstracts through IAEA-INDICO
- 29 March 2024: Acceptance of submitted abstracts
- 31 May 2024:Submission of accepted full paper
- 31 July 2024: Review process
- 6 September 2024: Deadline for revised papers to be submitted